- Human Resources & Administration
- DC, USA
- Full Time
Comprehensive and competitive
The Society for Neuroscience (SfN) is the world's largest organization of scientists and physicians devoted to advancing understanding of the brain and nervous system. A nonprofit membership organization, SfN is supported by a dedicated staff at the headquarters in Washington DC.
We have an immediate opening for an Office Manager experienced in a professional office setting. The Office Manager ensures the smooth operation of SfN's office, building and administrative functions and is responsible for a variety of administrative, clerical, and office responsibilities including supervision of the office receptionist. The Manager is the liaison with SfN's property management company to coordinate building maintenance.
This is a multi-functional, hands-on role. The Office Manager must have excellent communication skills with the ability to inspire confidence, teamwork and delivery of superior services and coordination of logistical issues to ensure the smooth operation of the office with as little disruption as possible.
The selected candidate will have a portfolio of experience that includes office administrative tasks, coordinating general office maintenance, cleaning and repair as well as maintenance and repair of the physical building, mechanical equipment, HVAC, custodial and grounds operations etc. with a track record of working collaboratively and diplomatically across departments to meet and exceed the needs of our employees and guests.
This role is designed for an administrative, operation, facilities professional with a keen ability to anticipate needs and stay a step ahead to provide an attractive, functioning office space that meets the high standards of the organization with the health and safety of all employees and guests at top of mind. The selected candidate will be an independent thinker, organized and detail oriented able to work well under pressure and be willing (and able) to work additional hours during critical times.
The Office Manager will:
• Ensure proper working order and maintenance for all office and kitchen equipment and training of staff in their use,
• Coordinate maintenance, arrangement, and housekeeping of all office areas,
• Order and maintain office and kitchen supplies and keep proper inventory in stock,
• Administer and maintain reception desk phone system including back-up support for Receptionist,
• Assist in organization of office space, coordinate moves, purchase and delivery of new furniture and equipment,
• Draft and distribute correspondence and other documents to staff,
• Coordinate and manage effective and efficient archiving and storage of business documents and related activities,
• Administer procedures for reserving SfN conference rooms for meetings and providing assistance with teleconference and AV equipment; coordinate logistics of in-house meetings and training courses,
• Generate required reports,
• Assist Human Resources in the orientation of new staff, coordinate with managers and technology services to assign workspace and various other duties as assigned,
We seek candidates with the following qualifications and characteristics:
• Bachelor's degree or four years related work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience,
• A combination of general administrative office and facilities management experience,
• Strong office automation skills (word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software), as well as proven Internet research skills,
• Willing and able to be out and about throughout the office reviewing and inspecting equipment, rooms, inventory etc.,
• Ability to multi-task and set priorities in a flexible manner to address changing needs,
• Detail oriented, highly organized, and driven to adhere to deadlines,
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively present information, and respond to questions from staff, management, vendors, members and the general public,
• Ability to perform basic arithmetic in all units of measure,
• Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage and to draw and interpret graphs,
• Basic knowledge and understanding of accounting process, procedures and record keeping,
• Use of good judgment and logic with ability to competently handle potentially controversial issues and situations,
• Willing and able to reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
• Proficiency to write procedure manuals, create and write reports and business correspondence.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply via the website at www.sfn.org. Please include a cover letter (with salary requirements), resume, and a writing sample. SfN is an AAEEO organization.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!