The Society for Neuroscience (SfN) is searching for a Communications Specialist who will oversee the communication and positioning of SfN and its policy positions, as well as activities related to advocacy priorities in order to generate awareness about the value of brain research and to enhance the leadership stature of the Society. The Specialist will be a strong communicator who has experience in persuasive writing, media relations, and/or advocacy communications and who can leverage multiple platforms to showcase, share, and engage SfN members and outside audiences.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Write and edit communication materials and provide communication support for a variety of projects, campaigns and events to increase support for research and innovation in the neuroscience sector among policymakers, media and the public.
- Produce communications and collateral materials to support the Society's advocacy agenda and institutional communications functions.
- Draft letters, opinion-editorials, fact sheets, talking points, press releases, web and social media content, blog posts, and statements.
- Reposition and refresh SfN.org advocacy section and content pages, as well as home page items as needed.
- Assist with developing advocacy-oriented communications initiatives to improve online engagement.
- Assist with tracking news coverage; manage media coverage trend reports and analysis.
- Assist with media relations: selected media outreach and release/statement distribution.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, government relations, public policy or related degree.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience preferably in a communications and/or public policy-related environment, including grassroots advocacy communications, or a related field.
- Knowledge of media relations principles and strategies, with demonstrated ability to successfully implement strategies and achieve communications targets.
- Strong proofreading/editing skills; familiarity with AP Style.
- Experience working with senior-level experts and partner organizations; ability to interact with journalists and policy opinion-leaders.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, HTML, Web content management system software, Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, Word Press, Quark, Dreamweaver.
- Proficiency in interactive environments (social media platforms and networks, etc.)
- Basic understanding of Google Analytics, SEO, social media analytics, content strategy, and content marketing.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; outstanding interpersonal and customer service skills to interface with internal and external customers.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to organize work across departments to achieve common objectives.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities in a flexible manner to address changing needs.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, and to exercise sound judgment.
- Able to meet deadlines and operate with limited supervision.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-task team environment.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
If this is you and you are eager to make meaningful contributions to a highly relevant and important mission, please submit a cover letter with your salary requirements, a copy of your resume, and two writing samples for consideration. Applications without cover letters and writing samples will not be considered.
Our generous benefits package includes: medical, dental, disability and life insurance; flexible spending accounts, two retirement plans with employer matching and nonmatching contributions; 12 days of paid vacation, 12 days of paid sick leave, with additional personal leave and 10 paid holidays; gym membership reimbursement; and tuition reimbursement.
The Society for Neuroscience is wholly dedicated to recruiting, developing, and retaining a diverse group of talented people. We are committed to provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected criteria, in accordance with applicable law and we welcome Veteran applicants.
with our quick 3 minute application!
Sign Up For Job Alerts!